August 25, 2016 marks the 100th birthday of the US National Parks Service and we thought we’d celebrate with some National Park Service facts and links to events to help everyone celebrate this historic day.
Did you know?
- Over 400 National Parks, monuments and historic sites are managed by the National Park Service
- California has the most National Parks with 9 & Alaska has the most parks & sites
- Alaska is also home to the largest National Park – Wrangell-St.Elias
- The most visited National Park, with over 10.5 million visitors a year is the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in North Carolina & Tennessee
- Yellowstone was the first National Park in the world created in 1872
Ways to Celebrate:
- Free entrance days – there are a total of 6 remaining Free Entrance Days of the 16 that were offered in 2016 including August 25-28th
- Google Arts & Culture has released a collection of videos & 360 degree tours highlighting 5 different parks
- The National Park Service is encouraging users to post to social media with the hashtag #findyourpark
- Explore the National Parks with Gate 1 Travel on one of our 15 packages that visit US National Parks & Sites!
Gate 1 Tours highlighting National Parks & Sites:
- Explore the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Yellowstone, Zion & Grand Teton National Parks on the Gate 1 14 Day Ultimate National Parks Tour
- Visit the Denali National Park & the breathtaking Kenai Fjords National park on the 10 Day Classic Alaska
- The 8 Day Pacific Northwest with Columbia River Gorge highlights Crater Lake National Park & Redwood National Park